Sunday, January 3, 2010

Lesson Outline for Lesson 1 - “This Is My Work and My Glory”


Lesson 1: “This Is My Work and My Glory”, Old Testament Gospel Doctrine Teacher’s Manual, 1

1. Introduction

a) Last week

i) Three goals from Preach My Gospel – Missionaries answer these questions about their missions on their first day in the MTC

ii) Questions Applied to Us for 2010

(1) What do you want to say you have done at the end of 2010?

(2) What do you want to have become during 2010?

(3) What differences would you want others to notice in you at the end of 2010?

b) During the Week

i) Have started a Gospel Doctrine Blog

(1) http://sherwoodgospeldoctrine.blogspot.com/

ii) In addition to email list, we will be putting lesson materials and other supplemental materials up on the Blog

2. Old Testament

a) Begin our study of the Old Testament this week

b) The Old Testament is not the favorite book of scripture for a lot of people

i) Probably the least-read of any of the scriptures

(1) Old Testament is 1184 pages long

(a) New Testament - 403 pages

(b) Book of Mormon - 531 pages

(c) Doctrine and Covenants - 294 pages

ii) To some people, Jehovah seems to have a different attitude towards man than Jesus does in the New Testament

(1) Many ministers and members of Protestant churches contrast the "God of the Old Testament" with the religion that Christ teaches in the New Testament.

(2) Who is Jehovah?

(a) Jesus Christ

(b) Will discuss in more detail later in this lesson.

c) We have many different scriptures that cover Old Testament times

i) Most of the Book of Mormon recounts the experience of the Nephites prior to the birth of Christ

(1) As we mentioned when we were studying the Book of Mormon a couple of years ago, the last Old Testament prophet was Malachi, who died about 400 years BC

(2) During the last 400 years before the birth of Christ, our only spiritual record of things happening on the earth is in the Book of Mormon

(a) Book of Mormon prophets during this "Old Testament" period include Mosiah, King Benjamin, Abinadi, Alma the Elder, Alma the Younger.

ii) This raises the question – Why do the accounts of Jehovah's dealings with his people seem so different in the Old Testament than they do in the Book of Mormon?

(1) Inspired translation

(2) Book of Mormon plates never in the hands of apostates

(a) In the Book of Mormon, the records were always in hands of the Nephite prophets

(b) In the Old Testament, there were times when all of Israel apostasized

(3) Nephites never taken into captivity as a whole, like the Children of Israel

(a) All of Israel was taken captive in Egypt

(i) Lead out of captivity by Moses

(b) In about 930 BC, when King Solomon's son, Rehoboam, was ruling, there was a great civil war in Israel

(i) Similar in some ways to the Nephite/Lamanite split in ancient Americas

(c) Israel split into two kingdoms

(i) The Kingdom of Israel – Northern Kingdom

1. Ten Tribes

2. Capital was Samaria – in the Northern part of today's West Bank

(ii) The Kingdom of Judah – Southern Kingdom

1. tribes of Judah and Benjamin

2. Ruled by Rehoboam

3. Jerusalem was its capital

(d) Ten Lost Tribes conquered by Assyria in 722

(i) Taken into captivity in Eastern Iran and western Afghanistan and never returned

(e) Remainder – Kingdom of Judah

(i) Conquered by Babylon lead by Nebuchadnezzar in 597 BC

(ii) Taken into captivity in Babylon in 587

(iii) After about 50 years in captivity, Persia conquered Babylon in 539 BC and Cyrus the Great released the Jews to return to the land of Israel.

(4) The Babylonian captivity had a serious effect on the Jews

(a) New seeds of apostasy

(b) May have influenced their records

3. Book of Moses

a) In addition to much of the Book of Mormon, we have other records of the Lord's dealings with His people in Israel during Old Testament times

b) Books of Moses and Abraham

c) ASK – Where did the Book of Moses come from?

i) Moses 1 is a vision that Moses received about 3,000 years ago.

(1) This vision was revealed to Joseph Smith.

ii) The book of Moses is an extract from the Joseph Smith Translation of the Bible.

iii) READ – Bible Dictionary – Joseph Smith Translation – Page 717 – last part of second paragraph - The book of Moses and the 24th chapter of Matthew (JS-M), contained in the Pearl of Great Price, are actual excerpts from the JST. Many excerpts from the JST are also given as footnotes in the edition of the KJV that accompanies this dictionary. The JST to some extent assists in restoring the plain and precious things that have been lost from the Bible (see 1 Ne. 13 and 14).

iv) The book of Abraham is a translation that the Prophet Joseph Smith made from some Egyptian papyri.

v) The Book of Moses is revelation received by Joseph directly from the Lord.

4. Moses is a Son of God

a) Preface to Moses 1:1-7 – Note how many times the Lord refers to Moses as "my son"

b) Reading 1 – Moses 1:1-7

1 The words of God, which he spake unto Moses at a time when Moses was caught up into an exceedingly high mountain,

2 And he saw God face to face, and he talked with him, and the glory of God was upon Moses; therefore Moses could endure his presence.

3 And God spake unto Moses, saying: Behold, I am the Lord God Almighty, and Endless is my name; for I am without beginning of days or end of years; and is not this endless?

4 And, behold, thou art my son; wherefore look, and I will show thee the workmanship of mine hands; but not all, for my works are without end, and also my words, for they never cease.

5 Wherefore, no man can behold all my works, except he behold all my glory; and no man can behold all my glory, and afterwards remain in the flesh on the earth.

6 And I have a work for thee, Moses, my son; and thou art in the similitude of mine Only Begotten; and mine Only Begotten is and shall be the Savior, for he is full of grace and truth; but there is no God beside me, and all things are present with me, for I know them all.

7 And now, behold, this one thing I show unto thee, Moses, my son, for thou art in the world, and now I show it unto thee.

i) ASK – Who is speaking here?

(1) Jehovah – the "God" of the Old Testament – Jesus Christ

ii) ASK – Why does Jehovah speak of "mine Only Begotten" in verse 6?

(1) Jesus is speaking on behalf of God

iii) Reading 2 - Elder Bruce R. McConkie wrote of this scripture: "The God here involved was the Lord Jehovah, though his words were those of the Father; he was, of course, speaking by divine investiture of authority." (Promised Messiah, p601)

iv) Reading 3 - “It should be remembered that it was Christ before he was in the flesh who gave the law and the commandments to Moses, and who spoke for the Father, as He explained to the Nephites when he appeared to them after his resurrection. (3 Nephi 15:5) He ‘was in the beginning with God and was God’ according to John 1:1. The Father was represented by Him and He acted and spoke for the Father, in the creation and from that time forward in all the divine dispensations” (The First Presidency: Joseph F. Smith, Anthon H. Lund, and Charles W. Penrose, in James R. Clark, comp. Messages of the First Presidency, 4:271)

v) Reading 4 – Joseph Fielding Smith wrote: “all revelation since the fall has come through Jesus Christ, who is the Jehovah of the Old Testament. In all of the scriptures, where God is mentioned and where he has appeared, it was Jehovah who talked with Abraham, with Noah, Enoch, Moses and all the prophets…. The Father has never dealt with man directly and personally since the fall, and he has never appeared except to introduce and bear record of the Son” (Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, 1:27)

vi) Verse 1 - 1 The words of God, which he spake unto Moses at a time when Moses was caught up into an exceedingly high mountain

(1) This vision occurred sometime between the appearance of Jehovah to Moses in the burning bush and the Exodus from Egypt

vii) Verse 6 - 6 And I have a work for thee, Moses, my son; and thou art in the similitude of mine Only Begotten; and mine Only Begotten is and shall be the Savior, for he is full of grace and truth; but there is no God beside me, and all things are present with me, for I know them all.

(1) God, speaking through Jehovah, has called Moses "my son" in verses 4, 6 and 7.

(a) Moses is a son of God

(b) Reading 5 - Elder Dallin H. Oaks taught: “Consider the power of the idea taught in our beloved song ‘I Am a Child of God.’ … Here is the answer to one of life’s great questions, ‘Who am I?’ I am a child of God with a spirit lineage to heavenly parents. That parentage defines our eternal potential. That powerful idea is a potent antidepressant. It can strengthen each of us to make righteous choices and to seek the best that is within us. Establish in the mind of a … person the powerful idea that he or she is a child of God, and you have given self-respect and motivation to move against the problems of life” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1995, 31; or Ensign, Nov. 1995, 25).

(2) thou art in the similitude of mine Only Begotten

(a) He was created in the "similitude" or likeness of God and Christ.

(b) Remember when the Brother of Jared saw the pre-mortal Jesus, he learned that God our Father and Christ have bodies that look like ours – both our spiritual and physical bodies resemble those of our Father

c) Reading 6 – Moses 1:9-10

9 And the presence of God withdrew from Moses, that his glory was not upon Moses; and Moses was left unto himself. And as he was left unto himself, he fell unto the earth.

10 And it came to pass that it was for the space of many hours before Moses did again receive his natural strength like unto man; and he said unto himself: Now, for this cause I know that man is nothing, which thing I never had supposed.

i) The presence of God withdraws from Moses

ii) Verse 10 - he said unto himself: Now, for this cause I know that man is nothing, which thing I never had supposed

iii) ASK – Moses has just learned that he is a son of God. How can he now say that "man is nothing"?

(1) If we are obedient to God's commandments, according to Heavenly Father's Plan of Salvation, through the Atonement of Christ, we can become like Him and enter into the Celestial Kingdom to Live with Him.

(2) If we do not obey God's commandments, we can never become anything like Him – in comparison, we are nothing.

5. Satan Appears to Moses

a) Reading 7 – Moses 1:12-23

12 And it came to pass that when Moses had said these words, behold, Satan came tempting him, saying: Moses, son of man, worship me.

13 And it came to pass that Moses looked upon Satan and said: Who art thou? For behold, I am a son of God, in the similitude of his Only Begotten; and where is thy glory, that I should worship thee?

14 For behold, I could not look upon God, except his glory should come upon me, and I were transfigured before him. But I can look upon thee in the natural man. Is it not so, surely?

15 Blessed be the name of my God, for his Spirit hath not altogether withdrawn from me, or else where is thy glory, for it is darkness unto me? And I can judge between thee and God; for God said unto me: Worship God, for him only shalt thou serve.

16 Get thee hence, Satan; deceive me not; for God said unto me: Thou art after the similitude of mine Only Begotten.

17 And he also gave me commandments when he called unto me out of the burning bush, saying: Call upon God in the name of mine Only Begotten, and worship me.

18 And again Moses said: I will not cease to call upon God, I have other things to inquire of him: for his glory has been upon me, wherefore I can judge between him and thee. Depart hence, Satan.

19 And now, when Moses had said these words, Satan cried with a loud voice, and ranted upon the earth, and commanded, saying: I am the Only Begotten, worship me.

20 And it came to pass that Moses began to fear exceedingly; and as he began to fear, he saw the bitterness of hell. Nevertheless, calling upon God, he received strength, and he commanded, saying: Depart from me, Satan, for this one God only will I worship, which is the God of glory.

21 And now Satan began to tremble, and the earth shook; and Moses received strength, and called upon God, saying: In the name of the Only Begotten, depart hence, Satan.

22 And it came to pass that Satan cried with a loud voice, with weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth; and he departed hence, even from the presence of Moses, that he beheld him not.

23 And now of this thing Moses bore record; but because of wickedness it is not had among the children of men.

i) Verse 12 - Satan came tempting him, saying: Moses, son of man, worship me

(1) How often does this happen to us – we have a great spiritual experience, then Satan comes to try to undercut our testimony

(a) Elder Holland spoke of this frequent juxtaposition of a great spiritual experience with Satan attempting to undermine that experience (Jeffrey R. Holland, “‘Cast Not Away Therefore Your Confidence’,” Ensign, Mar 2000, 7, From a devotional address given at Brigham Young University on 2 March 1999)

(2) Satan calls Moses son of man – Moses has just learned that he is a son of God

(3) Satan says - worship me

(a) This is the basis of all temptation. Satan desires us to worship Him by violating the commandments of God.

ii) Verse 13 - Moses looked upon Satan and said: Who art thou? For behold, I am a son of God, in the similitude of his Only Begotten; and where is thy glory, that I should worship thee?

(1) Moses remembers who he is – a son of God

(2) Moses can see a big difference between Jehovah and Satan – where is thy glory, that I should worship thee?

iii) Verse 14 - I could not look upon God, except his glory should come upon me, and I were transfigured before him. But I can look upon thee in the natural man

iv) Verse 15 - where is thy glory, for it is darkness unto me

v) Verse 15 - I can judge between thee and God

vi) Commanding Satan to depart

(1) Verse 16 - Get thee hence, Satan

(2) Verse 18 - Depart hence, Satan.

(3) Verse 20 - Depart from me, Satan, for this one God only will I worship, which is the God of glory

(4) ASK – Wouldn't it be nice if Satan would always leave us alone the first time we asked him to?

(5) Moses tells Satan to leave three times

(a) After the second command, in Verse 19, Satan responds - when Moses had said these words, Satan cried with a loud voice, and ranted upon the earth, and commanded, saying: I am the Only Begotten, worship me

vii) This is a frightening experience for Moses – Verse 20 - Moses began to fear exceedingly; and as he began to fear, he saw the bitterness of hell

viii) Moses persists

(1) Relying upon His testimony that he is a son of God

(2) Repeating the words Jehovah has just spoken to him

(3) Persisting in not giving in to Satan

(4) Verse 20 - Moses received strength, and called upon God, saying: In the name of the Only Begotten, depart hence, Satan

6. God Appears Again and Teaches of His Work and Glory

a) Satan departs, God returns and Moses receives another vision

i) READ – Moses 1:24-28

24 And it came to pass that when Satan had departed from the presence of Moses, that Moses lifted up his eyes unto heaven, being filled with the Holy Ghost, which beareth record of the Father and the Son;

25 And calling upon the name of God, he beheld his glory again, for it was upon him; and he heard a voice, saying: Blessed art thou, Moses, for I, the Almighty, have chosen thee, and thou shalt be made stronger than many waters; for they shall obey thy command as if thou wert God.

26 And lo, I am with thee, even unto the end of thy days; for thou shalt deliver my people from bondage, even Israel my chosen.

27 And it came to pass, as the voice was still speaking, Moses cast his eyes and beheld the earth, yea, even all of it; and there was not a particle of it which he did not behold, discerning it by the spirit of God.

28 And he beheld also the inhabitants thereof, and there was not a soul which he beheld not; and he discerned them by the Spirit of God; and their numbers were great, even numberless as the sand upon the sea shore.

29 And he beheld many lands; and each land was called earth, and there were inhabitants on the face thereof.

(1) Verse 25 - thou shalt be made stronger than many waters; for they shall obey thy command as if thou wert God

(a) Moses struck the river Nile with his staff and it turned to blood – one of the plagues of Egypt

(b) Parted the Red Sea

(c) When the Children of Israel could not find pure water in the wilderness, Moses turned the waters of Marah pure (Exodus 15:23-25)

(d) Moses produced smote a rock with his rod to produce water in the wilderness at Meribah (Numbers 20:8-11).

(2) Verse 27 - Moses cast his eyes and beheld the earth, yea, even all of it; and there was not a particle of it which he did not behold, discerning it by the spirit of God

(3) Verse 28 - he beheld also the inhabitants thereof , their numbers were great, even numberless as the sand upon the sea shore

(4) Verse 29 - he beheld many lands , each land was called earth

ii) Moses asked a question about what he had seen

iii) Reading 8 – Moses 1:30-33,39

30 And it came to pass that Moses called upon God, saying: Tell me, I pray thee, why these things are so, and by what thou madest them?

31 And behold, the glory of the Lord was upon Moses, so that Moses stood in the presence of God, and talked with him face to face. And the Lord God said unto Moses: For mine own purpose have I made these things. Here is wisdom and it remaineth in me.

32 And by the word of my power, have I created them, which is mine Only Begotten Son, who is full of grace and truth.

33 And worlds without number have I created; and I also created them for mine own purpose; and by the Son I created them, which is mine Only Begotten.

39 For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.

(1) Moses' question in Verse 30 - Tell me, I pray thee, why these things are so, and by what thou madest them?

(2) God's Answer

(a) Verse 31 - For mine own purpose have I made these things.

(b) Verse 32 - by the word of my power, have I created them, which is mine Only Begotten Son

(c) Verse 33 - worlds without number have I created

(d) Verse 33 - I also created them for mine own purpose; and by the Son I created them, which is mine Only Begotten

(3) Finally – What is the purpose of all this creation?

(a) Verse 39 - For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.

(i) Immortality

(ii) Eternal Life

(b) Reading 9 - President James E. Faust said: "There is a distinction between immortality, or eternal existence, and eternal life, which is to have a place in the presence of God. Through the grace of Jesus Christ, immortality comes to all..., just or unjust, righteous or wicked. However, eternal life is 'the greatest of all the gifts of God' (D&C 14:7). We obtain this great gift, according to the Lord, 'if you keep my commandments and endure to the end.' If we so endure, the promise is, 'you shall have eternal life' (D&C 14:7)." (Ensign, May 1995, p71)

(c) Reading 10 - President Gordon B. Hinckley said: “We are here to assist our Father in His work and His glory, ‘to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man’ (Moses 1:39). Your obligation is as serious in your sphere of responsibility as is my obligation in my sphere. No calling in this church is small or of little consequence. All of us in the pursuit of our duty touch the lives of others. To each of us in our respective responsibilities the Lord has said: … ‘In doing these things thou wilt do the greatest good unto thy fellow beings, and wilt promote the glory of him who is your Lord’ (D&C 81:4)” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1995, 94; or Ensign, May 1995, 71; see also D&C 81:5–6).

(d) READ - President Joseph Fielding Smith wrote: "Not only was this earth planned as an architect plans his building but its entire destiny and the destiny of its inhabitants was considered and known to the great Architect, before its foundation stones were laid. Our Eternal Father was not experimenting when this world came into existence. It did not come by chance. It is not the first of his creations. Millions upon millions of worlds such as this had rolled into existence before our earth was born. Every step taken was according to the divine plan, and that plan was an eternal one, which had been followed in the construction of other worlds without number unto man. In other worlds the plan of salvation had been given. Here we are enacting familiar scenes; scenes which are new to all mortal men, but which are well known to the Father and also to the Son." (The Way to Perfection, pp35-36)

Testimony

No comments:

Post a Comment