Saturday, December 29, 2012

Lesson 48: Come unto Christ – Scriptures and Quotes

In General Conference, April, 1986, President Benson said, "The Book of Mormon will change your life"
 Reading 1 – Mormon 7:2-5
Reading 2 – President Joseph F. Smith wrote: "The ancient prophets speak of 'entering into God's rest'; what does it mean? To my mind, it means entering into the knowledge and love of God, having faith in his purpose and in his plan, to such an extent that we know we are right, and that we are not hunting for something else, we are not disturbed by every wind of doctrine, or by the cunning and craftiness of men who lie in wait to deceive." (Gospel Doctrine, p58)
Reading 3 – Moroni 7:6-13
Reading 4 - President Marion G. Romney wrote: "About a quarter of a century ago Sister Romney and I moved into a ward in which they were just beginning to build a meetinghouse. The size of the contribution the bishop thought I ought to contribute rather staggered me. I thought it was at least twice as much as he should have asked. However, I had just been called to a rather high Church position, so I said, 'Well, I will pay it, Bishop, but I will have to pay it in installments because I don't have the money.' And so I began to pay. And I paid and paid until I was down to about the last three payments, when, as is my habit, I was reading The Book of Mormon, and came to the scripture which said:
"'...if a man...giveth a gift ...grudgingly; wherefore it is counted unto him the same as if he had retained the gift; wherefore he is counted evil before God.'
    "This shocked me because I was out about a thousand dollars. Well, I went on and paid the three installments I had promised to pay, and then I paid several more installments to convince the Lord that I had done it with the right attitude." (Relief Society Magazine, Feb 1968)
Reading 5 – Moroni 7:14-17
Reading 6 – Bible Dictionary definition of Light of Christ
Moroni 7:19-20
Reading 7 – Moroni 7:25-26
Moroni 7:40-43
Reading 8 - Elder Bruce R. McConkie wrote:  "As used in the revelations, hope is the desire of faithful people to gain eternal salvation in the kingdom of God hereafter.... Faith and hope are inseparable. Hope enables us to have faith in the first instance then because of faith that hope increases until salvation is gained." (Mormon Doctrine, p365-366)
Moroni 7:44-48
Reading 9 – Moroni 10:4-5
Reading 10 – Brother Daniel H. Ludlow has written: "When a person follows this divine formula, the results are certain: He will gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon. God cannot and does not lie, and his promises made through his prophets are sure. Therefore, any person who claims to have followed the various requirements but says he has not gained a testimony should check to see which step he has not followed faithfully or completely." (Ensign, Mar 1986)
Moroni 10:7

No comments:

Post a Comment