Wednesday, July 13, 2011

My Brother, Peter


President Spencer W. Kimball: "Today I wish to talk about my brother, my colleague, my fellow apostle--Simon Barjona or Cephas or Peter the Rock.
"Some time ago a newspaper in a distant town carried an Easter sunday religious editorial by a minister who stated that the presiding authority of the early-day church fell because of self-confidence, indecision, evil companions, failure to pray, lack of humility, and fear of man. He then concluded: 'Let us as people, especially those who are Christians and claim to abide by the Word of God, not make make the same mistakes and fall as Peter fell.'
"As I read this, I had some strange emotions. I was shocked, then I was chilled, then my blood changed its temperature and began to boil. I felt I was attacked viciously, for Peter was my brother, my colleague, my example, my prophet, and God's anointed. I whispered to myself, "This is not true. He is maligning my brother.
"Then I opened my New Testament. I could find no such character as this modern minister described. Instead, I found a man who had grown perfect through his experiences and sufferings--a man with vision, a man of revelations, a man fully trusted by his Lord Jesus Christ....
"I do not pretend to know what Peter's mental reactions were nor what compelled him to say what he did that terrible night. But in light of his proven bravery, courage, great devotion, and limitless love for the Master, could we not give him the benefit of the doubt and at least forgive him as his Savior seems to have done so fully. Almost immediately Christ elevated him to the highest position in his church and endowed him with the complete keys of that kingdom.
"Simon Barjona did not have long to consider the matter or change his decisions, for he now heard the cock crow twice and was reminded of Christ's prediction. He was humbled to the dust. Hearing the bird's announcement of the dawn reminded him not only that he had denied the Lord but also that all the Lord had said would be fulfilled, even to the crucifixion. He went out and wept bitterly. Were his tears for personal repentance only, or were they mingled with sorrowful tears in realization of the fate of his Lord and Master and his own great loss?"

(Speeches of the Year, BYU Press, 1971)

1 comment:

  1. Please for humanity's sake please do it once
    I have made a blog at blogger.com Since i have added a google adsense in the blog but haven't made a penny with this. I need your help and support to help me make some money to PAY MY Tuition Fees.
    What you have to do is follow these simple steps

    1.go to Google.com and search "Kwotz-Golden Words of Life"
    2.then visit my blog from the the search results.
    3.Remain on the page i.e Kwotz for one minute or so and do some random surfing
    4. click ONE of the ads that APPEALS to you from ADBoxes and visit there.
    5.remain on that page for one minute or so and do some random surfing.
    and that's it.

    IMPORTANT:DO NOT visit the blog directly. Visit through google or my twitter account. Only ONE click is needed.
    I will be grateful to you.
    I really need your help

    ReplyDelete